Victory Sports Soccer Season and the Blessings of Friends and Family



This past Saturday marked the beginning of a new soccer season for Victory Sports, the church league in which my daughter, Angela, her husband and their children have been involved for a good many years now. All three children have played sports with this league and/or have assisted in coaching the younger children for basketball and soccer. Angela does all the things that mothers of children who are involved in church or school sports activities do. Up until now, Jimmy, our son-in-law, has been very active in coaching the children for soccer and basketball. This soccer season he, because of complications and side-effects involved with his treatments, has not been able to coach.

Shiloh Baptist Church is a sponsor of Victory Sports and is the place where all the games are played and where children from all around the Aiken area are blessed to be able to participate in the games and activities associated with Victory Sports. Angela, Jimmy and the children are members there and have been very involved in the program since long before they made the decision to join the church. I took this picture of just a few of the beautiful people who tirelessly give of themselves in both time and energy. They are wonderful friends and are living examples of Christian love.
Back Row From Left, Jennifer, Valerie (Sports Coordinator), Angela(our Daughter), Jimmy(our Son-in-Law), Drew (Coach) and Michael (Organizer and Coach). Front Row From Left, Anslee (Daughter of Michael & Valerie), Jewelynn and Stephen(Assistant to Soccer Coach).
God is at the center of the games and is a major part of the coaching and playing of games. The opening prayer at this kick-off game was for the players to play games fairly and safely and to the glorification of God. The prayer also focused on Jimmy and his on-going battle with cancer. He is so very grateful for the prayers that are continually offered up for him, including those sent out by those who read this blog. My sincere thanks and gratitude goes out to all you precious people. Thank you for taking time to pray for Jimmy. It means so much to him and our family. Your prayers have been instrumental in helping him in his courageous battle.

Some of the folks in the above picture are wearing snazzy tie-dye t-shirts in Jimmy's honor and to show support in his fight to survive. The quotation on the front reads "Kickin' Out Cancer-Canepa(Jimmy's last name)Strong."

Jimmy lives each day and does not dwell on the negatives in his situation, but on the positives in each new day.http://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/12-9.htm.

It is hard for out big "teddy-bear" to sit it out or stand on the sidelines, but we have faith that he will be out there coaching and chasing those kids around the field before long.

Jimmy Watching from the Sidelines
The young people pictured below with Jimmy are always there to coach and to support the league and to help in mentoring the kids by the way they live their lives

Though she has not been the most enthusiastic participant in the past couple of seasons, our Jewel seems to be getting into the game with more gusto this year.
Jewelynn






Young Ones are Playing Hard, in Spite of the Heat

Stopping for a quick water break to cool off a bit and to re-hydrate.

A Very Thirsty Girl

Jewel definitely has her "prissy" side, just like her Mama.
Jewel Striking a Pose
Stephen is helping  coach the youngest players (3&4 years old) this year. It is the first year he is not playing. Here he is with his Mama, taking a water break:
Stephen, Taking a Water Break with Angela




Coach Drew has obviously worked up a big thirst at the end of the game.

Who Wants a Cup When You are This Thirsty?

The game was enjoyed by all, but sometimes, what happens on the sidelines is as entertaining as the game. That's what happened at this game. A tot had me in stitches as I observed him. This adorable aspiring player spent a lot of time running after a soccer ball on the sidelines. In the following picture, he had stopped for a little snack break(note the Goldfish between his legs):

Breaking for a Little Goldfish Snack
Notice the look of concentration on his face. What happened next leads me to believe he was probably thinking "I want to eat these Goldfish, but I really do not like all those yucky crumbs getting all over my fingers."

This smart little guy figured out that there is often more than one way to eat and he has given the term "snacking" a whole new meaning. You have probably heard that a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, the following pictures are a short lesson on "How to Eat Goldfish Without Getting Crumbs on Your Fingers."

It Works Pretty Well to Sit and Lean Into Your Snack.




That way was okay, but maybe it will work better with different approach. What do you think?

This Seems to Work Much Better. 

So there you have it. Every Goldfish eaten and not one crumb on the fingers! How smart! This trick probably won't work for those of us who are old(er) and/or as out of shape as me. If you who are into yoga or are contortionists, maybe you can pull this one off.

Here is one last photo taken on my birthday, week before last. when friends and family came by. It was a good day. My "grand-girls" were clowning around, even before they had that sugar-shot (piece of cake).

My Silly Little Clowns, Rachel on Far Left, Sophie and Jewelynn (Jewel).

God has blessed our family, bountifully and mightily! His grace never fails and He is the source of our strength in every situation. It is not through our own strength that we endure but through the strength of Him. In all things we glorify Him and give Him thanks: http://biblehub.com/colossians/3-17.htm.

Thank you for indulging me as I post about family and friends.These are just a couple of things that make me happy and brighten my life--time well spent with beautiful people, cherished friends and family. For these things I am grateful.  It may not seem like much, but it is incredibly special to me.

Have a gorgeous weekend!


































































































Comments

Patty Antle said…
I love this post, reading about your family and friends and the love you all share. I will keep Jimmy in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing these beautiful times with us. Our son played soccer. He is 30 now. This brought back many memories of him playing and our daughter who played for one season but enjoyed the sliced oranges more than the game.
lynn cockrell said…
Patty, I am glad you stopped by and left your caring comments. One reason I did this post is that I want to document some of these sweet and fleeting moments. I sometimes hesitate to write about things such as this because of the bitter-sweet nature of it. I am glad it brought back some good memories of good times spent with your family. Jimmy has been fighting his battle with renal cell cancer for 2 1/2 years. After his kidney was removed, he had surgery to remove the upper quadrant of a lung and less than 2 months later, he had a baseball sized tumor removed from the base of his brain. It has returned in his lung and brain now. As if that weren't enough, he had appendicitis a few months ago. He seldom complains and tries to keep things as normal as possible for Angela and the children. We and everyone who knows him loves him. Thank you for your prayers. It means so much to Jimmy and our family. God bless you and your family.
Laurie said…
You have some beautiful grandhoneys, Lynn. And I just want to say, God Bless Jimmy and his family. I pray that he soon will be back on the soccer field doing what he loves.
Unknown said…
Oh the memories this brings back of my three in soccer!!!
Prayers for Jimmy - it can't be fun to sit in the sidelines when he's always been so active!
XOXO
What a gorgeous day spent with your beautiful family and friends. I can feel the love as you talk about each and every one. God's blessings to you all and a special prayer for Jimmy.
Hugs,
Patti
Decor To Adore said…
We are a soccer loving family and I just loved seeing all the cuteness of yours. Enjoy the season!

Have a week as beautiful as you!
Wilma said…
Hi Lynn,
This is such a sweet post. Love to see your children and grandchildren. It is so good to have a loving family, especially in hard times.

God bless you all !!
Wilma. Shabby Royale
lynn cockrell said…
Laurie, I'm so sorry to be late thanking you for your visit and for your continuing prayers. Jimmy started a new treatment yesterday. I think it is called Avastin, is delivered by IV. As I understand, it has been successful in blocking the blood supply to certain tumors. We are optimistic that Jimmy will be one of the successes. Thanks so much, Laurie. You are a doll!
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks so much, Suzan, for stopping by. I apologize that I have not replied before now. There has just been so much going on. Your prayers mean so much to Jimmy and our entire family. We truly appreciate each and every prayer and the person who prays it. Thanks, so very much!
lynn cockrell said…
Patti, I appreciate your stopping by my humble little blog. It has somewhat gone by the wayside lately, for obvious reasons. We believe in and understand the awesome power of prayer and we are so thankful to you and so many other wonderful people who pray for Jimmy. You are a sweet and special person!
lynn cockrell said…
Laura, thanks so much for coming by. You probably know a lot more about the game than I do, but I try. Your comments are so much appreciated. It has been hard for me to have the time or to be motivated about blogging lately, but I hope to get back into the swing of things before long. Bless you for being the sweet inspiration you are!
lynn cockrell said…
Thank you, Wilma, for taking the time to pay me a little visit. Your sweet comments mean so very much. Yes, a loving family is truly a blessing and I do not know what we would do without the love and devotion we have for one another. I am afraid I have not been a very good blogger friend lately with all that has been going on, but I hope that you and your family are all happy and well and that you will have bountiful blessings in the new season!
xinex said…
Oh how fun! You have a lovely family. I watch my grandson play soccer too when I am in Florida! missing it right now and the season just started...Christine
Lynn,
Thanks so much for stopping by and for all your kind remarks on my remodel! I will be posting about my Kitchen and Powder Room tomorrow as everything is now put back together...... I am very happy with how everything looks and also so glad that it is all done and over with now.... It was a lot of work but well worth it...

Hugs,
Deb
Lynn,
Thanks so much for stopping by and for your very kind words about my ReModel. I am waiting to post the Dining Room Reveal until i get the rugs that I ordered. I did post pics of the Harvest Tea. --3 posts up and one to go. I took a lot of pictures. Hopefully, things will calm down a bit now for me...

Hugs,
Deb
lynn cockrell said…
Thank you, Christine, for stopping by. I apologize for not replying sooner, but it has been crazy around here. We have my daughters children staying with us as their dad is in ICU. They are 16,12 and 6 and there is so much to do with trying to keep their lives half-way normal with school, etc. Your sweet comments are much appreciated!
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks, Debbie, for stopping by during this chaotic time in my life. I have enjoyed watching all the changes taking place in your gorgeous Victorian home and I know it will be a real source of joy for you and Joe. Hope your week is going great.
Our days are spent at the softball field - such fun for the kids!
Kelly
lynn cockrell said…
I enjoy softball, but none of our grands are involved in that sport for now. Thanks so much, Kelly, for paying me a visit and leaving a comment. I always enjoy checking in on you at your blog and it seems there is always

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House